25+ years operational, leadership and management experience in the food manufacturing industry.
Ned created and managed the Food Defense program for a major international food manufacturer from 2004 - 2008. The program focused on low-cost and no-cost behavioral changes and incorporated policy, procedure, training, vendor qualification, design criteria, inspections, self-assessments and formal audits. While the Food Defense Plan was based on the FDA guidance document, additional guidance from the USDA, DOT, FBI and USPS was also incorporated.
Since then, Periscope Consulting has become the leading Food Defense Consultant with an FDA regulated manufacturing background. We have created and presented materials for Food Defense Training Workshops at home and abroad with both the USDA and the FDA. Our Food Defense Plan Builder Tool has been used in at least four foreign countries with hundreds of companies. We have spoken at the International Symposium on Agroterrorism. We have conducted numerous Vulnerability Assessments. We sit on expert panels with the Institute of Food Technologists and others.
- Fresh Produce Food Defense expert on USG team to Peru as part of an Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) food defense pilot capacity building activity. 2008.
- Twice a speaker at FDA co-sponsored Food Defense Workshops for small business, on the topic of “Vulnerability Assessments using CARVER + Shock.” 2007.
- Speaker at symposium by Microbe Inotech, on the topic of “Building Blocks of a Food Defense Program.” 2007.
- Member of the Industry Workgroup for the National Center for Food Protection and Defense (NCFPD) a Homeland Security Center of Excellence.
- Participant in the SPPA initiative of the US FDA CFSAN to conduct segment vulnerability assessments on the value added produce sector, using the CARVER + Shock assessment. USDA and FBI as well as industry associations cooperated in this assessment.
- Participant in the International Symposium on Agroterrorism (ISA) cosponsored by the FBI in September 2006 and April 2008.
- Tulare table-top exercise on Food Defense with California Agricultural Commissioner. 2006.
- Member of Infragard, a private/public partnership with the FBI, active in the North Texas chapter and participant in the national meeting in 2006.
- Industry mentor for a 2005 project at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA on the topic “The Threat of AgroTerror on Monterey County.”
- Participant in the full annual meeting of the National Center for Food Protection and Defense in Atlanta in 2005 and the IFT Food Defense meetings on the same dates.
- Expert Panel member, Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), for FDA review of food sector factors of concern.
- CARVER + Shock Vulnerability Assessment subject matter expert, performing vulnerability assessments for IFT under contract to FDA.